Thursday, April 06, 2006

The White Chappelle?
(Chappelle illustration courtesy of Lance King of snakesheep)

First off, a clarification. I do not have a drinking problem. I was trying to be funny. I failed.

Dave Chappelle's a guy who will never fail at being funny. I was in the front row of his late night show at the DC Improv on Tuesday. The majority of the show was a dialogue with the audience. Dude was just having fun -- while flinging such nuggets of wisdom as, "You don't go to war with a country that has weapons of mass destruction, you negotiate." His set was 2.5 hours long. That's a lot of fun.

Show highlights:
1. The audience and Chappelle singing along to the theme song for "The Greatest American Hero."
2. Chappelle, in response to audience requests, receiving a call from Common.
3. A long and winding tale about a pimp named Iceberg Slim.
4. Chappelle referring to me as the white Chappelle. 'Don't take offense. I'm not dissing you. If I diss you I diss myself.' Having a bald head does have its privileges.